Acne is a very common skin condition, affecting the majority of teenagers and many adults at some point in their lifetimes. It is characterized by clogged pores (comedones, or blackheads), and often also bumps, pimples, and sometimes cysts and scarring.
A variety of oral and topical prescription medications are available to treat acne. Treating acne is a very individualized process. When you seek care for acne management, we will take into consideration your skin type, sensitivities, allergies, medical history, and personal goals.
Many of our patients with acne wonder what kind of skin care products they should be using. It is essential to use cleansers, moisturizers, sunscreens, and makeup products that are designed for acne-prone skin. Makeups particularly should be non-comedogenic.
Here is a short list of Dr. Amy Valet's favorite, readily-available skin care products for acne patients. You may find these useful while you are waiting for your appointment or as an add-on to your prescription regimen.
1. Cleanser -- Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Face Wash
2. Sunscreen -- Elta MD Clear, either tinted or untinted (we carry in our office)
3. Makeup -- Bare Minerals mineral face powder
4. Moisturizer (if needed . . . many acne patients do not need a moisturizer) -- Vanicream Lite Lotion
5. Exfoliation Regimen -- Clarisonic Mia with acne brush head nightly or as tolerated (do not use on pimples, cysts, or open sores due to risk of scarring and spreading infection), consider weekly NeoStrata Skin Active Perfecting Peel if your acne is not inflamed (we carry in our office)